[MiKTeX] Suppressing Ligatures
Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-11 22:03:54 UTC

While the use of ligatures for ff, fi, fl, ffi, and ffl. does make the
output look nicer, the resulting font substitution makes a resulting PDF
file unsearchable for words containing those ligatures. Such files also
produces rather strange output on screen readers. I'd like to be able to
disable these five ligatures when producing files for which the ligatures
present a problem.

Is anyone aware of a method to do this that does not involve modifying each
and every instance of these letter combinations?

Thanks,

John Mullen
Melchior Rabe
2002-09-11 22:53:31 UTC
Hi John,
Post by Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
While the use of ligatures for ff, fi, fl, ffi, and ffl. does make the
output look nicer, the resulting font substitution makes a resulting PDF
file unsearchable for words containing those ligatures. Such files also
produces rather strange output on screen readers. I'd like to be able to
disable these five ligatures when producing files for which the ligatures
present a problem.
Is anyone aware of a method to do this that does not involve
modifying each
and every instance of these letter combinations?
\usepackage{ae} should work

HTH MELLE
Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-12 13:14:19 UTC
Hi Melle,

Well I tried the ae package and the ligature mapping changed, but is still
there.

Thanks anyhow.

John Mullen

www.osdn.com/911/
Jonathan Flynn
2002-09-16 12:57:50 UTC
John,

I've not tested it, but something like the following might work:

{\let\xxx=\gdef \catcode`\f=\active \xxx f{f\relax}}

Place it (including the outer set of braces) after all \usepackage,
\newcommand, \renewcommand, \newtheorem and any other definition
commands (i.e., just before \begin{document}).

The idea is to make the character `f' behave like a macro and for
TeX to expand it to f\relax. For example, if TeX reads the word
`Define' it will expand it to `Def\relax ine' thus breaking the
`fi' ligature. The use of \xxx here is because \gdef contains an
`f' After making `f' active, TeX would expand this to `\gde'
followed by `f' and would probably complain about an undefined
control sequence. As I say, I've not tested this construction so
I may have missed something blindingly obviously wrong with it.
You may need to construct something else along these lines, but
using token lists or with clever use of \expandafter.

If none of this works, a sure way to break the ligatures is to
make the editor program you use replace all instances of `f' in
the text of yuor document with'`f{}' That is, `f' followed by an
empty group.

You may also want to send an e-mail to Adobe requesting their next
version of Acrobat Reader includes a search engine that breaks
ligatures. This would be the best solution. :-)

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Jon
While the use of ligatures for ff, fi, fl, ffi, and ffl. does make the
output look nicer, the resulting font substitution makes a resulting PDF
file unsearchable for words containing those ligatures. Such files also
produces rather strange output on screen readers. I'd like to be able to
disable these five ligatures when producing files for which the ligatures
present a problem.
Is anyone aware of a method to do this that does not involve
modifying each
and every instance of these letter combinations?
\usepackage{ae} should work
HTH MELLE
Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890
Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-16 13:35:53 UTC
Post by Jonathan Flynn
{\let\xxx=\gdef \catcode`\f=\active \xxx f{f\relax}}
I haven't tested it either, but I doubt that \relax will work.
You should replace it with something like \kern0pt (there must be
something TYPESET in between). In general, ligatures are hardcoded
into the fonts (.tfm files). If you need this for your own private
use (not to share .tex files with someone), just edit the
corresponding .mf files and recreate the fonts. (People often
do that to wn* fonts, where some stupid ligatures make them
useless.)

Regards,
Alex
Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-16 13:44:28 UTC
Hi Jon,

Well I tried it. I didn't get any error messages, but it didn't work
either.

I'm not sure if Acrobat will be interested in breaking ligatures, but I am
going to send an email to Dragon (one popular screen reader) and mention the
problem. Since each ligature is a unique character, it might be possible
for the screen reader programs to do the filtering.

Thanks for the try, anyhow.

John Mullen

[...]

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf
Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-16 18:16:36 UTC
Hi Alex,

The problem is not the ligatures so much as the ASCII code used to represent
them. I want to be able to create PDF files that people using screen
readers can use. For this to work, the ligatures representing combinations
of letters need to be replaced by the individual letters.

I am also checking this out on the screen reader end, but that is not likely
to work well. While "fi" and "fl" are standard ligatures that appear in
many fonts, "ff," "ffl," and "ffi" are not. As a result, they appear as
different ASCII codes in different PDF encodings. For a screen reader to
handle this, it would have to know which ASCII codes are being used for each
of the non-standard ligatures. I suspect it will be difficult to iron out
this problem, so it looks like the best solution at this time is to just
replace the ligatures by their individual letters.

I tried your suggestion using \kern{0pt} and while it generates no error
messages, it doesn't work, either.

:-/

So far, the only thing that seems to work is something like
"dif\/f\/i\/cult." It works, but it is quite a pain.

:-(

John Mullen

http://thinkgeek.com/sf
Dr Francis J. Wright
2002-09-17 09:35:12 UTC
Have you tried using a monospaced font (e.g. texttt throughout)? That
should not use any ligatures. It might not look wonderful, but it would
probably look no worse than peppering your text with inappropriate italic
corrections!

Francis

Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-16 18:53:02 UTC
Post by Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
I tried your suggestion using \kern{0pt} and while it generates no error
messages, it doesn't work, either.
This is REALLY strange! I've just tried it: f\kern0pt f\kern0pt i does
not produce ligatures!
Well, after I examined the code, it is not strange: "f" is made
active locally! Try this code (I DID test it; accidentally, \relax also
works):

\let\eFchar=f
{\let\xxx=\gdef \global\catcode`\f=\active \xxx f{\eFchar\relax}}

Once again, the true solution (that would not disable hyphenation) would
be to go to the corresponding .mf files and disable them there
(as far as I remember, this is called ligtable, but I'm not 100% sure
right now). But that would make your implementation incompatible with
the standard.

Regards,
Alex
Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-16 19:06:29 UTC
Sorry, I've just realized a horrible drawback of this approach:
"f" works perfectly, but you'll be unable to use any control sequence
that contains f... So, it's better to use your way and break them
manually...
Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-16 19:19:51 UTC
OK, here is the perfect solution (except that it makes your
installation too personalized):

Assuming that you are using cm* fonts, edit files
C:\texmf\fonts\source\public\cm\italig.mf
C:\texmf\fonts\source\public\cm\romlig.mf

and remove all files from
C:\texmf\fonts\tfm\public\cm
(they will be recreated automatically).

In the files, comment out these lines (at the very beginning)

ligtable "f": "i"=:oct"014", "f"=:oct"013", "l"=:oct"015",
"'" kern itc, "?" kern itc, "!" kern itc, ")" kern itc, "]" kern itc;
ligtable oct"013": "i"=:oct"016", "l"=:oct"017",
"'" kern itc, "?" kern itc, "!" kern itc, ")" kern itc, "]" kern itc;

or, better, remove the relevant parts (say, change them to this):

ligtable "f":

Don't forget to backup first!
Martin Schroeder
2002-09-16 22:43:40 UTC
Post by Alex Degtyarev
OK, here is the perfect solution (except that it makes your
Assuming that you are using cm* fonts, edit files
C:\texmf\fonts\source\public\cm\italig.mf
C:\texmf\fonts\source\public\cm\romlig.mf
Before you edit these files, please read the lines at the start
of the files:

% THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE italig.mf BY D E KNUTH.
% IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!

And think again.

Btw: You must also rename _all_ other files in the Computer
Modern bundle you want to change.

Best regards
Martin
http://www.tm.oneiros.de
Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-16 19:20:38 UTC
Hi Alex,

I tried your code and it does suppress the ligatures, but it also affects
occurrences of "f" in commands, such as "writefile," that are being executed
during the LaTeX pass, even though they are not in the input file.
Consequently, I've got entries to my AUX file in my document.

:-/

Thanks, though. This might be getting close. I have to think about it.

John Mullen

http://thinkgeek.com/sf
Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-16 19:26:28 UTC
Hi Alex,

I see our emails crossed.

:-)

Incidentally, I did try one global fix that worked, but not as well as I
thought it would. The "tt" fonts have no ligatures in them. However, when
I tried to use them, the spacing was way off. It looked like the typesetter
was using metric fonts from some other font. Is this normal or could I have
something crossed up here?

Here is the stuff in my header

--------------
\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper,twoside]{article}
\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[english]{babel}
\usepackage{graphics}
\usepackage{ifthen}
\usepackage{mathrsfs}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{colortbl}
----------------------------

John Mullen

2002-09-16 19:48:05 UTC
Hi Alex,

This looks like it would work, but it will be a while before I get to it. I
think I'd like to see if I can generate a copy of the fonts, calling them
something else. Then, the basic tex installation will be unchanged, but I'd
be able to switch off ligatures by changing the font. I think I can specify
the font change with a style file.

That way, I can exclude or include ligatures, as I need to. Also, if one of
my source files ends up somewhere else, it will generate a recoverable error
when it doesn't find the style file or modified fonts. Just commenting out
the line that inputs the style file will solve the problem.

Thanks lots. I should get to this sometime this evening.

John Mullen

http://thinkgeek.com/sf
Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-16 20:15:45 UTC
I guess tt fonts just have this spacing: they imitate
typewriter. (In particular, they are monospaced.)
But you are right: the only reasonable way to handle this
is to find (or make) fonts without ligatures. I solved
this problem for myself (with wn* fonts) by just editing
them. For some reason (no idea why) Knuth decided that
ligatures are a property of the font used and in TeX itself
there's no way to handle them.
2002-09-16 20:23:01 UTC
OK, good luck. (It MIGHT be a good idea to rename the fonts,
but probably not if you are using latex: you'll have to change
a lot of packages. With plain it is perfectly OK. I tried this
with wn*, but finally I stopped on the original names.) BTW,
if you do NOT rename them, you file at other machines will not
generate errors at all: it will just compile with ligatures :)
A better idea may be to keep two copies of cm*.tfm files
(ligatures are in .tfm), one outside of your \texmf folder,
and create a batch file that woul replace them. (E.g., you
may zip you current copy, create a new one and zip it too,
and then just unzip the uppropriate one over the existing
files. Of course, this will work if you are not going to
do this very often :)
Jonathan Flynn
2002-09-17 13:09:05 UTC
Well, I messed up there a bit. There were two blindingly obvious errors in my approach. First, you
need to have \catcode`f=\active when you're ready to break ligatures. Second, the macro replacement
text should not contain the letter f. Fixing these problems gives the definitions:

\let\eph=f
{\let\xxx=\gdef \catcode`f=\active \xxx f{\eph\relax}}
\catcode`f=\active %This line should appear in the document where you want to start breaking ligatures.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, after \catcode`f=\active, you cannot use any control sequences
that contain `f' in the name. However, this technique can still be used by defining a suitable LaTeX
environment.

Here's a complete example. Run LaTeX or pdfLaTeX on the following:

\documentclass{article}

\let\eph=f
\def\makeFActive{\catcode`f=\active}
\def\makeFLetter{\catcode`f=11 }
{\let\xxx=\gdef \catcode`f=\active \xxx f{\eph\relax}}

\newenvironment{noFligs}{\makeFActive}{\makeFLetter}

\begin{document}

\section{Ligatures}
Here are some words containing ligatures.

find, difficult, influence, stuffy, affluent.

\hfill (?`!`Godd Eh!?)

\section{No Ligatures}
\begin{noFligs}
Here are the same words without ligatures.

find, difficult, influence, stuffy, affluent.

\makeFLetter\hfill\makeFActive (?`!`Godd Eh!?)
\end{noFligs}

\end{document}

The second section (No Ligatures) demonstrates how to handle control sequences that contain `f' in
their name, (\hfill). It also shows that the inverted question mark and exclamation mark ligatures
that are in cmr10 are not broken (?` and !`).

(ASIDE: Elsewhere in this thread, it was mentioned that the tt fonts do not contain any ligatures.
However, the two ligatures ?` and !` *do* exist in cmtt10. Plain TeX and LaTeX use a similar method
to the \catcode trick above to break these ligatures in verbatim mode.)

Moving arguments may need some care. For example, to break the ligature in the section heading and the
table of contents, something similar to the following construction may be needed:

\makeFActive\section{\protect\makeFActive Stuffy}\makeFLetter \label...

Of course, the noFLigs environment is only useful where there are large blocks of text with few control
sequences.

An alternative approach would be to define your own \output routine that intercepts the ligatures then
breaks them. Any ideas on this anyone?

Regards,

Jon Flynn

Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-17 13:36:40 UTC
Hi Francis,

That would seem to be the elegant answer. However, for some reason line
justification is especially bad. Sometimes, the text extends nearly to the
edge of the page, other times, it ends much too soon. Looking at the
output, it is easy to see that the justification could be easily improved by
moving a few words. It does seem that using "\sloppy" helps this, but I
haven't had a chance to fully check it out.

The italic correction, by the way, is the recommended method of breaking
ligatures in _A Guide to LaTeX2e_ by Kopka and Daly. It involves only two
characters and appears to have little, if any, effect on justification. The
source file is a bit strange, but the output looks fine. It is just that
the method involves a tedious search/insert, taking care to avoid applying
it to commands or environment names, (e.g. "figure.") Also, the resulting
file would have to be manually re-edited if I wanted to produce a version
with ligatures.

I think defining a new set of fonts, together with a style file to redefine
the font associations, is the best way. I just have to find time to do it.
I also need to check that it would be OK to share the modified fonts, since
they are derivative. I'd like to come up with something others in my
situation can use.

John Mullen

[...]
Open Source & Linux Developers, register now for the AMD Developer
Symposium. Code: EX8664 http://www.developwithamd.com/developerlab
Dr Francis J. Wright
2002-09-17 15:45:51 UTC
2002-09-17 13:42:39 UTC
Hi Jon,

I'll give this a try. However, the problem I had was not commands
containing "f" in my source document, but commands containing "f" being
executed during the process (e.g. "\writefile."). The approach should avoid
the writefile commands that come into play for section headings, but may
still present a problem for equations, captions, index commands, etc.

For moving arguments, it would probably be easier just to use "\/" in line.

John Mullen

Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-17 14:04:38 UTC
Hi Martin,

I am aware of the restriction on the cm fonts, which is why I would rename
them, if I use them. Also, as I mentioned earlier, having a new font name
makes it possible to easily switch from ligature-free output to output with
ligatures.

There are other fonts, though. I might rename and modify one of the Cork
encodings, since that appears to be the future direction in fonts.

John Mullen

Martin Schroeder
2002-09-17 14:42:45 UTC
Post by Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
There are other fonts, though. I might rename and modify one of the Cork
encodings, since that appears to be the future direction in fonts.
It might be possible to do all this through virtual fonts.

Best regards
Martin
http://www.tm.oneiros.de
Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
2002-09-17 16:15:21 UTC
You may be right, Martin.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

John Mullen

Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-17 22:36:53 UTC
Post by Jonathan Flynn
An alternative approach would be to define your own \output
routine that intercepts the ligatures then
breaks them. Any ideas on this anyone?
It's too late to detect them in \output. Ligatures are
processed when the text is typeset (represented as a sequence
of boxes), and \output gets those boxes...
Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-17 22:44:10 UTC
Post by Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
I'll give this a try. However, the problem I had was not commands
containing "f" in my source document, but commands containing "f" being
executed during the process (e.g. "\writefile."). The approach
should avoid
the writefile commands that come into play for section headings, but may
still present a problem for equations, captions, index commands, etc.
This is NOT a problem! Commands that are parts of other definitions
are not parsed anymore; they are stored in the defs as single tokens.
(Even "f"'s that got into those defs BEFORE you made it active will
be normal "f"'s. BTW, this is the reason why this won't work:

\def\noflig#1{{\catcode`\f\active #1}}

By the time "f" is made active the argument has already been read
and replaced with a sequence of tokens, who know their catcodes!
You would need a more sophisticated approach (assuming that you have
already a \def for active f somewhere):

\def\noflignext#1{#1\egroup}
\def\noflig{\bgroup\catcode`\f\active\noflignext}
John Mullen
2002-09-18 01:09:21 UTC
Hi Alex,

Maybe so in theory, but the error messages I got concerned the writefile
command and messages to my aux file ended up in my dvi. Very weird!

John Mullen
Alex Degtyarev
2002-09-17 22:51:07 UTC
Post by Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
them, if I use them. Also, as I mentioned earlier, having a new font name
makes it possible to easily switch from ligature-free output to
output with
ligatures.
It might be a good idea to write to developers of etex (one cannot
modify tex itself much) and ask them to implement this feature. I guess
Knuth's idea of encoding this into fonts was motivated by the speed,
which is not a big issue nowadays...
Post by Mullen, John P. (Contractor)
Before you edit these files, please read the lines at the start
% THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE italig.mf BY D E KNUTH.
% IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!
And think again.
I'm not a lower, and I don't know much about the legal stuff (nor do I
care),
but I strongly believe that I have God given right to modify any single
bit of my choice on *MY* hard drive. (And don't forget that the contents of
a hard drive is a mare sequence of bits.) Of course, it would be no nice to
share these files with others without warning people that they differ from
the original distribution.
John Mullen
2002-09-18 01:07:52 UTC
Hi Alex,

I was thinking that speed was probably the issue for doing it this way. I
remember the old days when Tex was slow.

:-)

Certainly, what you do on your drive is your own concern. but I'm looking for a
fix that others can use, too. For that, I gotta dot "i"s and cross "t"s.

John Mullen
2002-09-20 12:48:31 UTC
Dear all,

when I use hyperref.sty, how could I do to remove the default cyan border
around the links?

Many Thanks.
Bye.
Jari Similä
2002-09-20 13:15:33 UTC
Use the option:

\usepackage[colorlinks=true]{hyperref}

You can change the color of links with the commands:

\usepackage{color}
\definecolor{linkcolor}{rgb}{0.2,0.55,0.9}
Subject: [MiKTeX] NO Border around the links in HYPEREF
Enrico Toniolo
2002-09-22 10:01:07 UTC
Thanks Jari, but

I really used the commands below but the cyan box around the items in the table of contents and other liks doesn't
disappear. I have try on:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[colorlinks=true]{hyperref}
\usepackage{color}

\begin{document}

\definecolor{linkcolor}{rgb}{0,0,1}

\tableofcontents

\section{one}
arstdy

\section{two}
fsdg

\subsection{two--one}
gfsfg

\end{document}

with this I'd like to have the link-items on the table of contents in blue color, with out the cyan box around them. But it
seems to not give the right results: the items are
blue colored but also boxed by cyan border. I have installed the 2.2 version of miktex, but compiling even under unix the
result is the same.

In what I wrong? Has some one any idea?

Many thanks.

Bye.
Matthias Schwaiger
2002-09-22 22:09:14 UTC
Hello,

Define a driver, e.g.

\usepackage[dvipdfm]{hyperref}
\hypersetup{colorlinks=true}

or

\usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}
\hypersetup{colorlinks=true}

Matthias
--
Matthias Schwaiger <***@epost.de>

PGP Fingerprint: 9B20 13FA D433 6806 BC41 ABF6 62D1 8E90 DE6B
7DB6
<http://www.matzix.de/pgp.html>
Ko-Kang Kevin Wang
2002-09-23 05:48:44 UTC
Does anyone know how I can reference to a web site using BibTeX?

What I have are some photos, which I'd like to reference to a web page
(URL). But I don't think @BOOK or @ARTICLE will do the trick.

Cheers,

Kevin

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang